The position is responsible for providing strategic communications counsel to specific ACC Plastics division self-funded sector groups, including the Center for Polyurethanes Industry (CPI), the BPA/Polycarbonate Global Group, as well as other issue management initiatives related to plastics used in products, such as foam insulation. In coordination with the senior director, product communications and other members of the communications team, the position will provide high-level strategic communications counsel, develop strategic communications materials, provide project management expertise, and supervise and direct outside communications firms. The position will also be responsible for creating long-term strategic communications plans and assisting in developing programs for outreach to stakeholders for CPI and BPA sector groups, as well as provide strategic communications support to other self-funded chemical product groups. The position reports directly to the Senior Director, Product Communications.
» Apply Here
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Direction and Project Management Duties
- Drives strategic communications direction for ACC’s key plastics sector initiatives that require high-level issue management skills and directly manages the allocation of resources from outside communications contractors.
- Coordinates all media relations activities related to these specific sector groups.
- Develops messages and positioning on key issues, in collaboration with designated stakeholders.
- Coordinates media and communications activities with other parts of the Communications Division and collaborates with Communications colleagues on media and stakeholder matters.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach programs with key stakeholders in the value chain, third party organizations, and the news media.
- Coordinates, through the Senior Director, across ACC leadership in other departments to ensure communications integration throughout select divisions (e.g. Regulatory and Technical Affairs, Chemical Products and Technology, etc.) for purpose of reaching agreed upon goals, objectives and metrics.
- Ensures cross-collaboration with applicable departments/divisions, including seeking feedback/input, developing communications plans and executing approved programs.
- Coordinates directly with member company representatives to seek input, provide status/progress updates, as well as plans and executes agreed upon activities for members’ specific sector groups.
- Facilitates development of beneficial external partnerships (e.g., industry, scientific and academic partners) in coordination with applicable ACC departments/divisions.
- Ensures all external messages to the media, membership, value chain and other key audiences are factually correct, compelling, delivered in a timely manner, and focus on achieving both ACC and the product groups’ strategic objectives.
- Supervisors media monitoring (traditional and social media) and coordinates rapid response to inaccurate and/or negative information, as well as supports proactive media outreach.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field.
- Eight years of experience in public policy, issue advocacy, media relations or relevant field.
- High-level account management, including team, contractor and budget oversight.
- Prior experience at a large public affairs or communications firm as an account supervisor or senior director managing client relationships, issue management program development, campaign execution, staff resources allocation and client budget and billing.
- Strong written and oral communications skills, including the ability to write creatively and communicate technical information.
- Ability to process technical, abstract verbal and written information to establish beneficial messaging framework and implement action plans.
- Ability to work independently on a variety of projects with competing tasks/priorities.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools and internet research skills.
- Knowledge of press/media/newswire services.
- Exposure to regulatory/technical or advocacy communications in a trade association.
- Federal agency public affairs experience.
» Apply Here