When faced with potential transportation hazards, the business of chemistry relies on sophisticated technologies and decades of safety and security expertise to deliver its products safely by barge, pipeline, rail and truck.
There are numerous safety and security laws that regulate transport of these products. Chemical producers work with scores of international, federal, state and local regulators and their transportation partners to promote reliable delivery and to protect the communities that host chemical transportation.
In the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, chemical producers and transportation partners significantly reinforced cooperation with law enforcement agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security and the Coast Guard, to combat threats to our nation’s critical transportation sector.
An Impressive Record of Safety
- The safe transportation of chemical products is an integral part of the Responsible Care® initiative that is mandatory for all ACC members.
- Since 2000, the number of distribution incidents among member companies has declined by 56 percent, while the volume of chemicals shipped only decreased by 25 percent for the business of chemistry overall.
- Since nearly a quarter of U.S. shipments of chemical products travel by rail, ACC member companies and their transporation partners invest billions of dollars in rail safety improvements, continuously champion improved safety standards for rail cars and support enhanced rail security technology and regulations.
- Chlorine shipments, for instance, have a remarkable track record. From 1965 to 2007, only .036 percent of the 2.2 million rail car shipments of chlorine were involved in incidents.
Preventing and Preparing for Emergencies
Two decades-old initiatives sponsored by ACC help prevent and prepare for emergencies involving chemical shipments:
- CHEMTREC® is an around-the-clock service available to emergency responders who need immediate information for incidents involving chemicals, hazardous materials and dangerous goods.
- TRANSCAER® is a national outreach effort that promotes safe transportation and helps communities prepare for and respond to any transportation incident involving hazardous materials.
Policies to Promote Safe Rail Transportation
To ensure that essential chemical products can continue to be shipped by rail, Congress and federal regulators must develop policies that enhance safety while guaranteeing shippers unrestricted access to affordable, reliable rail service.
Learn more about policies that can help American chemistry continue innovating, creating jobs and enhancing safety.