Communications: Director, Issue Communications
The position is responsible for serving as the American Chemistry Council’s (ACC) direct link—both proactively and reactively—to national and trade media outlets on assigned priority issues of the organization. This position is responsible for developing and producing integrated, strategic national media messages for purposes of impacting advocacy audiences, including cultivating and maintaining relationships with national and trade media and teaming with internal resources to develop media strategies, pitch compelling story ideas, and generate coverage of key issues. The position serves in an “on-the-record” capacity, as needed, and reports directly to the Senior Director, Advocacy Communications.
» Apply Here
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages Acquires a detailed understanding of the policy and regulatory issues being managed.
- Develops, fosters and maintains key national and trade media relationships, including positioning ACC as a “go-to” source for comments and background.
- Responds to national and trade media inquiries, requests for information, as well as facilitates media interviews and story placement.
- Implements ACC’s articulated press and media strategy using a variety of media tools for purposes of increasing the visibility of ACC’s advocacy priorities, nationally.
- Collaborates with relevant ACC federal, state, and regulatory and technical affairs, staff as well as member company representatives to develop and implement messages and communications strategies.
- Provides support services and strategic communications counsel to ACC leadership and staff, as needed.
- Ensures all messages to the media are factually correct, compelling, delivered in a timely manner, and focus on ACC’s strategic objectives.
- Assists in monitoring media developments on related issues to inform clients/colleagues of recommended strategies, including coordinators rapid response to inaccurate information, and ensuring proactive media outreach.
- Edits and manages content to support ACC advocacy strategies including op-eds, issue papers, press releases, newsletters, backgrounders, fact sheets, speeches, and other outreach materials.
- Assists in monitoring media developments on related issues and informs clients/colleagues of recommended strategies.
- Assists with relevant policy event planning, as needed.
- Staffs all national interviews and crafts messages in advance for input.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
» Apply Here
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field.
- Eight years of experience in public policy, issue advocacy, political campaigns, media relations, relevant field.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as the ability to give internal and public presentations.
- Ability to process technical and abstract verbal and written information to establish beneficial messaging framework and action plans.
- Ability to work independently on a variety of matters simultaneously.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools and internet research skills.
- Knowledge of press/media/newswire services.
- Two years advocacy communications experience.
» Apply Here