The business of chemistry helps create the products that make us safer—in our homes, at work, at play, on the road and even on the battlefield. Made by nearly 800,000 American workers, these innovative products continually advance with new technology to make our lives safer and more secure.
In Our Homes:
- Chlorine keeps our drinking water safe.
- Plastic packaging keeps our food clean, safe and fresh.
- Plastic safety devices such as baby gates, monitors, knob covers and child-resistant packaging protect our kids.
- Flame retardants provide valuable time to escape fires.
- Air filters clean the air in our work places and curtail acid rain.
- Medical devices, x-rays and blood bags save lives in the emergency room.
- Modern medicines help us fight disease and extend our lives.
- Forensics experts use chemistry to catch criminals.
- Lightweight body armor saves lives in law enforcement.
- Sports helmets and pads help protect our kids and professional athletes.
- Cyclists, skiers, hikers, mountain climbers and other outdoor enthusiasts rely on carbon fiber-reinforced plastic gear and safety equipment, from skis and boots to goggles and ropes.
On the Road:
- Plastic seat belts, child safety seats and air bags save countless lives on the road.
- LED traffic lights, reflective signage and foam filled crash drums help make us safer.
On the Battlefield:
- Bullet resistant panels on military helicopters and cargo planes protect our armed forces.
- Body armor made from plastic fibers saves our soldiers’ lives.
- Plastic encased MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) deliver food safely to our soldiers on the battlefield and then heat themselves through a chemical reaction.
Policies to Promote Innovation and Safety
Promoting the safe use of the essential products of chemistry is a shared responsibility of manufacturers, the government and those who use or sell chemical products. Manufacturers and government must work together to:
- Develop, implement and comply with sound regulations so chemicals are safe for intended use.
- Enhance scientific understanding of chemical safety.
- Produce publicly accessible safety information.
“ACC and its member companies developed the Responsible Care® Product Safety Code to drive continuous improvement in chemical product safety as part of the industry’s signature environmental, health, safety and security management system. The Product Safety Code is our industry’s public commitment to our role in the safe management of chemicals and articulates our pledge to make safety a core value in how our products are made, sold, delivered, used and disposed of.”
Americans must feel confident that the federal regulatory system is keeping pace with the applications of chemistry. Our nation’s primary chemicals management law must be updated to adapt to scientific advancements and to promote that chemical products are safe for intended use—while also encouraging innovation and protecting American jobs.
Learn more about policies that can help American chemistry continue innovating, creating jobs and enhancing safety.