On November 1, 2004, the Biocides Panel of the American Chemistry Council established an Antimicrobial Exposure Assessment Task Force II (AEATF II or Task Force) to conduct human exposure monitoring studies involving the mixing, loading, and application of products containing antimicrobials.
This effort is primarily focused on meeting data requirements specified under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (875.1100, 875.1200, 875.1300, 875.1400 and 875.1600) to support the re-registration and registration reviews of antimicrobial active ingredients. EPA also coordinates study design and final report reviews with the California Department of Pesticide Regulation (CDPR), and the Canadian Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA).
The primary AEATF II goal is the collection of worker-exposure monitoring data and its incorporation into a new generic database, Biocide Handlers Exposure Database, or BHED™, that can be used to estimate potential human exposures. BHED™ will be submitted to EPA and other regulatory agencies, and used by those regulators to conduct detailed quantitative exposure assessments to support safety determinations for antimicrobial pesticide uses.
- Pesticide Regulation Notice (EPA-HQ-OPP-2009-0337-0002)
In 2009, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued this Notice announcing the establishment of the Antimicrobial Exposure Assessment Task Force II (AEATF II). This Notice discusses why these data are being developed and how registrants may participate in the AEATF II’s development of these data. Any applicant or registrant may choose among other ways of supplying such data as it becomes required, including generation and submission of its own data. This Notice identifies contacts within EPA and AEATF II for persons wanting further information.
Task Force Members:
- Akzo Nobel Surface Chemistry LLC
- AlEn del Norte, S.A. de C.V.
- Arch Chemicals, Inc. (Lonza Inc.)
- Ashland Inc.
- BASF Corporation
- Bio-Cide International
- Bio-Lab, Inc., A KIK Custom Products Company
- Buckeye International, Inc.
- Buckman Laboratories, Inc.
- The Chemours Company
- Clariant Corporation
- Clearwater International, LLC (Lubrizol Corporation)
- Clorox Company
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Ecolab Inc.
- Enviro Tech Chemical Services, Inc.
- ERCO Worldwide Inc.
- ICL-IP America, Inc.
- Janssen Pharmaceutica
- Kemira Chemicals, Inc.
- Koppers Performance Chemicals Inc.
- LANXESS Corporation
- Lonza Inc.
- Lubrizol Corporation
- Mason Chemical Company
- Microban International, Ltd. (AEGIS Environmental Management, Inc.)
- Nalco (an Ecolab Company)
- Nissan Chemical America Corp. (A subsidiary of Nissan Chemical Industries)
- Nisus Corporation
- Occidental Chemical Corporation
- Procter & Gamble
- Reckitt Benckiser LLC
- S. C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- Sealed Air Corporation (formerly Diversey, Inc.)
- Shikoku Chemicals Corporation
- Solvay Solutions UK Limited
- Sostram Corporation
- Spartan Chemical Company, Inc.
- Stepan Company
- STERIS Corporation
- Taminco US LLC
- Thor Specialties, Inc./Thor GmbH
- Troy Corporation
- Viance, LLC
- West Agro, Inc. (DeLaval)