TRANSCAER (Transportation Community Awareness and Emergency Response) is a voluntary national outreach program that focuses on assisting communities to prepare for and respond to a possible hazardous materials transportation incident.
TRANSCAER volunteer members come from a variety of sectors in the industry, including:
- Chemical Manufacturing
- Industry & Industry Associations
- Emergency Response
The TRANSCAER Purpose:
- Promote safe transportation and handling of hazardous materials.
- Educate and assist communities near major transportation routes about hazardous materials.
- Aid community emergency response planning for hazardous material transportation incidents.
To fulfill our mission and purpose, TRANSCAER offers a variety of services to communities and to emergency responders.
- Planning Assistance: Local communities get our assistance to better understand and plan for hazmat transportation emergencies.
- Hazmat Training: Free hazmat training is available in multiple styles including classroom, hands-on, and online.
- Drills and Exercises: We help communities plan drills and exercises to improve the response and handling of hazmat emergencies.
- Reference and Training Materials: Technical information about chemicals and transportation equipment is made available for both training and emergency response.
- Networking Opportunities: Our Sponsors and Partners share best practices, new programs, and resources with emergency response professionals at national level conferences and workshops.
- Local Resources: Regional and state coordinators work to implement the TRANSCAER mission and help connect local responders with the resources they need.
- Awards Program: The TRANSCAER awards program celebrates the teams and individuals who made an exceptional contribution to hazmat safety over the past year. Nominate someone you think went above the call of duty.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Find answers to the most common questions about TRANSCAER, hazmat training events, and emergency response support services.
TRANSCAER is sponsored by the American Chemistry Council (ACC), American Petroleum Institute (API), Association of American Railroads (AAR), CHEMTREC®, Center for Liquefied National Gas (CLNG), Industrial Steel Drum Institute (ISDI), The Chlorine Institute (CI), The Fertilizer Institute (TFI), and Renewable Fuels Association (RFA).