The Center for Biocide Chemistries (CBC) launched a new campaign, The Science of Helping Others, to spotlight the charitable and community-focused efforts of the antimicrobial industry throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Since March 2020, when many Americans began quarantining, numerous CBC member companies extended themselves by donating millions of dollars in funds, products, and equipment to organizations working to fight COVID-19 across the country.
Throughout the past year, it has been CBC’s mission to share vital information about antimicrobials and emphasize how effective disinfectants can be in killing harmful germs and viruses. At the same time, many of the individual members of CBC took on a leadership role in making donations to organizations large and small, within their communities and around the world.
As government agencies, healthcare providers, scientists, and emergency response workers stepped up to fight the SARS-CoV-2 virus, so too did the antimicrobial industry. The following represents a sample of the philanthropic efforts made by members of the CBC. For more information,
- Milliken donates more than 23,000 reusable gowns to school districts in Upstate South Carolina.
- Nice-Pak’s donations to Good360 organization reach the $1 million mark.
- Albemarle Foundation's dedication to education includes donations to a school uniform program in Louisiana and school supply drives in Texas and North Carolina.
- Lubrizol fulfills $2 million global commitment to support COVID-19 crisis, with donations benefitting neighborhood foodbanks, local businesses, frontline medical workers, and more.
- Clorox Foundation donates $5 million to coronavirus caregivers in partnership with leading public health organizations.
- BASF, together with its North America Agricultural Solutions business and several U.S. sites, donates more than $365,000 to Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization.
- The ENVIROTECH facility located in Modesto, Calif., donates a pallet of hand sanitizer to the county to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in March 2020.
- LANXESS donates one million liters of disinfectant solution to hospitals, authorities and public institutions in 13 countries around the world.
- The Stepan Company’s Millsdale plant in Joliet, Ill., donates 800 gallons of hand sanitizer and several hundred gallons of disinfecting spray solution to the Chicago Police and Fire departments as well as numerous departments in the Chicago suburbs.
- Koppers Holdings Inc. partners with the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh to launch a community-wide fund to obtain and distribute essential household products to underserved neighborhoods during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Ecolab contributes $1.7 million in financial support and in-kind product donations to COVID-19 response to support organizations and individuals in need.
- SC Johnson supports organizations across Asia Pacific in the fight against COVID-19 with more than $1 million in product and financial donations.
- GOJO and Lubrizol join together to donate more than 16,000 liters of Purell® hand sanitizer to Northeast Ohio hospitals.
- Reckitt Benckiser announces the launch of the RB Fight for Access Fund to improve access to health, hygiene and nutrition for all.
- Pilot Chemical donates FDA-compliant hand sanitizer, liquid hand soap, nitrile gloves, and more to aid frontline workers and organizations providing essential services in the fight against COVID-19.
- MilliporeSigma announces the donation of research instruments and materials to support research efforts in Indonesia to accelerate vaccine development research.
- Procter & Gamble’s Safeguard launches $10 million hygiene education and product donation initiative to help keep children healthy.
- Haviland, Inc. converts part of its operations in Kalamazoo, Mich., to manufacture a gel-style hand sanitizer for critical care organizations.
- Solvay Solidarity Fund dedicates €100K to support guar farmers in India during the Covid-19 crisis.
- SRC, Inc. focuses on helping drive change and showing their appreciation for local community and industry through charitable giving and volunteer work.
- Colgate supports community-based organizations by providing $200 million in health and hygiene products for those most in need.
For more information, please visit https://goodchemistryliveshere.com/resources/.