Chemical Industry Leaders Honored For Exceptional Environmental, Health, Safety Initiatives
Awards Presented at Annual Responsible Care® Conference & Expo
HOLLYWOOD, FL. (April 30, 2018) – Today, at the 2018 Responsible Care Conference & Expo, the American Chemistry Council (ACC) recognized chemical industry leaders for their exceptional environmental, health, safety and security (EHS&S) performance and commitment to sound chemicals management.
This year’s conference also marks the 30th Anniversary of Responsible Care in the United States. Since 1988, Responsible Care has helped ACC member and Partner companies significantly enhance their performance and improve the health and safety of their employees, the communities in which they operate and the environment as a whole.
The annual Responsible Care Conference & Expo educates EHS&S leaders at ACC member and Partner companies about new developments, processes and standards to help enhance their company’s commitment to Responsible Care and promote safe chemicals management throughout the value chain.
“Responsible Care means our industry is committed to developing products that benefit society, in safe, secure, environmentally sound facilities,” said ACC President and CEO Cal Dooley. “The companies and individuals honored today give Responsible Care its credibility and strength – they are leaders in driving continuous improvement in the safety and sustainability of our industry’s products and operations.”
Responsible Care award winners qualify based on exemplary performance and are selected by a committee made up of internal and external experts. The following industry awards were announced this morning at the 2018 Responsible Care Conference & Expo:
The Responsible Care Employee of the Year Award recognizes one member company employee and one Partner company employee for exceptional leadership in Responsible Care.
- The Member Company Employee of the Year is Phil Walling, a safety, health and environmental competency senior consultant for DuPont’s Industrial Biosciences business in Wilmington, Del. Mr. Walling has worked at DuPont for more than 37 years and provides overall safety, health, environmental, fire, process safety management and distribution support to all site within Industrial Biosciences. In 2017, Mr. Walling designed and delivered a series of three “Make a Difference” (MAD) workshops focused on reducing worker injuries and incidents. The workshops educated more than 500 DuPont employees and contractors and has led to a 69 percent decrease in injuries and incidents. As a line and equipment openings expert, Mr. Walling has also led global teams to revise the corporate global standard and provided mentoring to site EHS&S professionals on revisions and training.
- The Partner Company Employee of the Year is Cynthia Champion, Responsible Care Coordinator for Martin Transport, based in Kilgore, Texas. Under Ms. Champion’s leadership, Martin Transport’s key performance indicators have improved tremendously – the company’s OSHA recordable injury rate dropped by 49 percent from 2013 to 2016, and its worker comp expenditure decreased more than 80 percent from 2014 to 2017, reflecting fewer worker injuries. Ms. Champion has also led community outreach initiatives including training first responders in southern Louisiana on hazardous materials incidents and providing educational activities to Texas public school students to increase awareness on large truck safety. The National Safety Council recognized Ms. Champion as a “2017 Rising Star in Safety.”
The Responsible Care Partner of the Year Award recognizes the superb performance and safety record of companies involved in the distribution, transportation, storage, use, treatment, disposal and/or sales and marketing of chemicals. This year’s Responsible Care Partner Award winners are: Norfolk Southern Corporation in Norfolk, Va.; Eagle Transport Corporation, based in Rocky Mount, N.C.; and Total Quality Logistics, located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Responsible Care Product Safety Award recognizes member companies that have excelled at driving continuous improvement in chemical product safety. The following companies and their initiatives received the 2018 Product Safety Award:
- Ashland, LLC: Light Weighting with Color Stability
- Covestro, LLC: Portal to Product Stewardship Success
- Dow: Product Steward Academy
- Hexion, Inc.: Accelerated Innovation of Waterborne Epoxy Resin Technology
- Ingevity Chemical Corporation: Product Safety code, Product Safety
- Occidental Chemical Corporation: Product Safety Code, Product Design and Improvement- Using Innovation to Reduce Environmental Impacts
ACC presents the Responsible Care Facility Safety Award to member companies with significant achievements in employee health and safety performance. The following 35 companies received 2018 Facility Safety Certificates:
- AdvanSix, Inc.
- Afton Chemical Corporation
- AkzoNobel N.V.
- Albemarle Corporation
- Arkema, Inc.
- Ashland, LLC
- ASHTA Chemicals, Inc.
- BASF Corporation
- Braskem America, Inc.
- Cabot Corporation
- Carus Corporation
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP
- Covestro, LLC
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Ethyl Corporation
- Evonik Corporation
- FMC Corporation
- Hexion, Inc.
- Ingevity Corporation
- Kuraray America, Inc.
- Occidental Chemical Corporation
- Olin Corporation
- Pure Salt, LLC
- R.T. Vanderbilt Holding Company, Inc.
- Shell Chemical LP
- SNF Holding Company
- Stepan Company
- Texas Brine Company, LLC
- The Lubrizol Corporation
ACC also presented its Waste Minimization, Reuse and Recycling Award this year to ten companies with substantial achievements in the following areas:
- BASF: Beneficial Reuse category
- Dow: Beneficial Reuse and Waste Minimization categories
- Carus Corporation: Beneficial Reuse, Internal External and Recycling categories
- Covestro, LLC: Beneficial Reuse category
- DuPont: Beneficial Reuse category
- Hexion, Inc.: Waste Minimization and Beneficial Reuse categories
- The Lubrizol Corporation: Waste Minimization category
- Occidental Chemical Corporation: Recycling category
- Olin Corporation: Recycling category
- SI Group, Inc.: Recycling category