Chemical Industry Leaders Honored For Exemplary Environmental, Health, Safety Initiatives
Fort Lauderdale, FL (April 15, 2019) – Today, at the 2019 Responsible Care & Sustainability Conference & Expo, the American Chemistry Council (ACC) recognized chemical industry leaders for their exceptional environmental, health, safety and security (EHS&S) performance and commitment to sustainability and sound chemicals management.
The annual conference educates EHS&S leaders at ACC member and Responsible Care Partner companies about new developments, processes and standards to help enhance their company’s commitment to Responsible Care and sustainability and promote safe chemicals management throughout the value chain.
“For more than 30 years, Responsible Care has been the backbone of the chemical industry’s sustainability commitment, helping us to operate with environmental protection, health, safety and security as our top priorities,” said ACC President and CEO Cal Dooley. “The companies and individuals honored today are leaders in driving continuous improvement in the safety and sustainability of our industry’s products and operations.”
Responsible Care award winners qualify based on exemplary performance and are selected by a committee made up of internal and external experts. The following industry awards were announced this morning at the 2019 Responsible Care & Sustainability Conference & Expo:
The Responsible Care Employee of the Year Award recognizes one member company employee and one Partner company employee for exceptional leadership in Responsible Care.
- The Member Company Employee of the Year is Bryan Shelton, global Responsible Care coordinator at Axalta Coating Systems in Philadelphia. Mr. Shelton led Axalta’s transition to RC14001:2015 by combining a multi-task, stage-gate approach to building organizational knowledge, maintaining effective communications, and coordinating frequent engagement to keep the process on-track. Axalta achieved full global multi-site certification in 2017, a direct result of Mr. Shelton’s dedication, drive and insightful roll-out and effective transition process.
- The Partner Company Employee of the Year is Tanya Rogers, chemical safety and regulatory compliance manager at MLS-WSI Chemical Operations, based in Appleton, Wis. In 2012, Ms. Rogers took on the culture of a 50-year old warehouse company and helped create a new way of thinking. She successfully implemented Responsible Care in three chemical warehouses, working with both executive management and materials handlers. Six years later, she has grown Responsible Care at MLS-WSI from three warehouses to nine, with more potential expansions in 2019.
The Responsible Care Partner of the Year Award recognizes the superb performance and safety record of companies involved in the distribution, transportation, storage, use, treatment, disposal and/or sales and marketing of chemicals. This year’s Responsible Care Partner of the Year Award winners are: WTS, Inc., based in Lewiston, N.Y.; and Highway Transport Logistics, Inc., based in Knoxville, Tenn.
The Responsible Care New Company of the Year Award is presented to high-performing new ACC members or Responsible Care Partners that have met all of their Responsible Care goals early. The 2019 New Company of the Year Award goes to Responsible Care Partner company DRT Transportation, based in Lebanon, Pa., which had an occupational injury and incident rate of zero for the past two years.
The Responsible Care Product Safety Award recognizes member companies that have excelled at driving continuous improvement in chemical product safety. Four companies received the 2019 Product Safety Award for the following initiatives:
- ANGUS Chemical Co.: Integrating Early Safety Assessments into Stage Gate Processes
- Ashland LLC: Zeta Fraction Technology for Improved Personal Care Chemistry
- Covestro LLC: PUReWallTM – Pushing Boundaries in Construction
- The Lubrizol Corporation: Product Safety Heat Map Process and Tool
ACC presented its Waste Minimization, Reuse and Recycling Award this year to six companies with substantial achievements in the following areas:
- Albemarle Corporation: Waste Minimization category
- Ashland LLC: Waste Minimization category
- BASF Corporation: Waste Minimization and Recycling categories
- Dow: Beneficial Reuse and Recycling categories
- Hexion, Inc.: Waste Minimization category
- Occidental Chemical Corporation: Waste Minimization category
ACC presents the Responsible Care Facility Safety Award to member companies with significant achievements in employee health and safety performance. The following 49 companies received 2019 Facility Safety Certificates:
- AdvanSix, Inc.
- Afton Chemical Corporation
- Albemarle Corporation
- American Air Liquide Holdings, Inc.
- Ashland LLC
- Axalta Coating Systems LLC
- BASF Corportion
- Braskem America, Inc.
- Cabot Corporation
- Carus Corporation
- Chevron Oronite Company, LLC
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC
- Clariant Corporation
- Covestro LLC
- Eastman Chemical Company
- El Dorado Nitrogen LLC
- Ethyl Corporation
- Evonik Corporation
- Evonik Oil Additives USA, Inc.
- ExxonMobil Chemical Co.
- FMC Corporation
- Hexion, Inc.
- ICL Group America, Inc.
- Ingevity Corporation
- Kuraray America, Inc.
- Lanxess Corporation
- Occidental Chemical Company
- Olin Corporation
- OMNOVA Solutions, Inc.
- PMC Group N.A., Inc.
- PolyOne Corporation
- Pure Salt, LLC
- R.T. Vanderbilt Holding Company, Inc.
- Shell Chemical LP
- SNF Holding Company, LLC
- Stepan Company
- Texas Brine Company, LLC
- The Chemours Company
- The Lubrizol Corporation
- The Shepherd Chemical Company
- W.R. Grace & Co.
Since 1988, Responsible Care has helped ACC member and Responsible Care Partner companies significantly enhance their performance and improve the health and safety of their employees, the communities in which they operate and the environment as a whole.