WTS Works with Chemical Manufacturers to Find Sustainable Materials Management Opportunities
Manufacturing processes generate by-product materials that need to be managed responsibly and sustainably.
WTS, a by-product management services provider, works with chemical manufacturers to minimize or eliminate waste, recover value from by-products and divert waste from the landfill.
Since 2010, WTS has helped chemical manufacturers divert 1 billion pounds of materials from landfills through sustainable recovery options.
With an ever-growing manufacturing sector creating products to help meet the needs of more than 7 billion people around the world, the amount of by-products generated in these processes is increasing the need for innovative resource and waste minimization and management strategies.
WTS, Inc., a Responsible Care® Partner company, works with chemical manufacturers to implement management systems that use technologies and chemistry to minimize or eliminate waste and recover value from by-product and waste materials.
- Beneficial Reuse: Reusing manufacturing by-products in a way that is economically and environmentally beneficial.
- Natural Resource Preservation: Preserving resources by substituting alternative technologies to expressly continue sustainable use.
- Energy from Waste: Creating energy in the form of electricity or heat from the thermal application of organic by-products.
- Recycling: Processing by-products into new products to prevent waste of potentially useful materials.
- Resource Reclamation: Reclaiming resources from by-products that can be processed into a product of value.
In 2017, WTS’s collaboration with seven ACC member companies – BASF, Covestro, LANXESS, Lubrizol, PPG, Praxair and Vandemark – helped divert nearly 68 million pounds of manufacturing by-product materials from disposal. Overall, since 2010, WTS has worked with its customers to divert approximately 1 billion pounds of materials from landfill.
By 2020, when the earth's population has expanded to 9 billion people, WTS estimates it will have reached its goal of diverting over 2 billion pounds of by-products from landfill to preserve natural resources and protect the environment.