Diisocyanates: The Incredible Chemical Building Block
Did you know that every day you use many products made better with diisocyanates?
- DII chemistry is critical in the development of countless polyurethane products that help keep us safe, such as bike helmets, impact-absorbing foam panels in vehicles and even hurricane resistant safety glass.
- The business of diisocyanates-based polyurethane is a $38.8 billion enterprise and a key element of the U.S. economy.
- With a focus on developing innovative products and reducing the nation’s reliance on fossil fuels, diisocyanates can be reacted with natural oil polyols derived from vegetable oils to develop an array of polyurethane products containing renewable resource content.
Members of ACC’s Diisocyanates Panel participate in the following activities:
- Participation in rulemaking proceedings and submission of comments on proposed regulations impacting TDI and MDI; and
- Initiation of advocacy to address regulatory requirements that are unsupported by the available scientific data; and
- Development of product stewardship resources and communication of these throughout the value chain and to other stakeholders; and
- Communication with regulators and others to improve the accuracy and reliability of data characterizations so that future policy and regulatory actions are appropriate; and
- Working with government health agencies and other stakeholders to study diisocyanates.