Worker/Industry Health and Safety Guidance
American Chemistry Council (ACC) members, including those who manufacture aliphatic diisocyanates (ADIs), strive to create a safe and healthy workplace. In fact, research shows workers in the chemistry business are safer than workers in agriculture, retail, food stores and general merchandising business sectors.
The following health, safety and environmental resources are primarily intended for those who work with HDI, HMDI and IPDI.
- Product Stewardship Library: The industry makes available important health and safety information about diisocyanates via our Product Stewardship Library.
- Asthma: Provides resources on diisocyanate-related asthma, including a recorded webinar on sensitization and diisocyanate-related occupational asthma.
- Hazard Communication: Includes resources related to OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (HCS), including topics such as worker training, labeling and Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Ventilation: Types of ventilation systems and helpful resources.
- Protective Equipment: Federal regulations and standards for the protection of workers, including resources and equipment sources.
- Industrial Hygiene: Includes information on air monitoring. Discusses chemical sampling and analysis methods to assess workplace chemical concentrations, including resources from OSHA (includes Wipe Sampling Method, NIOSH, and the International Organization for Standardizations (ISO) on testing methods. Also includes ASTM Standards.
- Safe Handling Guidance: Provides materials handling guidance and resources for safe movement of hazardous materials via land, air or sea.
- Environmental-Airborne-Emissions-Reporting and Testing: Discusses atmospheric emissions reporting and testing methods, including information about the Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) and resources from the EPA about emissions monitoring, including stack testing.
- First Aid: Provides general first aid guidance for aliphatic diisocyanates and aliphatic polyisocyanates.
- Emergency Response: Provides resources and general information for ADI emergency response.
- Reuse or Recycle of Residual HDI, IPDI, and HMDI: Offers general guidance about disposal methods for residual HDI, IPDI and HMDI, including used drums.